Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Breastfeeding 3-year-old is not a problem
Tuesday, March 08, 2005
BY DR. KENDALL SPROTT
For the Star-Ledger
"My grandson is almost 3 years old and still breastfeeding. My daughter-in-law doesn't seem to mind. She is a good mother, but I feel he's a little too old to be nursing. I've tried to gently raise the subject, but she just plays it off. I don't know if I should butt out. What do you think?
"Breast milk is the ideal food for babies and breastfeeding is the natural method of transferring the milk. Psychological advantages of breastfeeding benefit both the mother and child....Breastfeeding beyond the first year of life is not unusual and breast milk is still an excellent source of nutrition....As long as the mother feels comfortable in providing her breast, it is usually not a problem, psychologically, for either of them....The most important conclusion you made is that she is a good mother.... I suggest that you continue to be supportive and not try to discourage the activity...."

No comments: