STUFF : HEALTH - STORY : New Zealand's leading news and information website
28 August 2004
"Food safety officials say they won't recall the batch of infant formula which killed a Waikato baby last month. The premature baby died after being fed infant formula in Waikato Hospital, made up from powder contaminated with a bacterium, Enterobacter sakazakii. A spokesman for the hospital, Waikato District Health Board (DHB) neonatal specialist Phil Weston, yesterday declined to disclose what infant formula brand was contaminated, its batch number, or details of its packaging 'as there are contractual and statutory obligations that need to be considered'."