tvnz.co.nz | NEWS | HEALTH | Warning over powdered formula issued
August 26, 2004
"Health and food safety officials have issued strong warnings about using powdered milk formula following the death of a premature baby in Waikato. Officials say the baby's death was linked to a bacteria called Enterobacter sakazakii which can be found in the environment and in low levels in infant formula. Dr Pat Tuohy from the Health Ministry says the six week premature baby developed an infection, which was treated at the time, but depsite the prompt treatment the baby developed meningitis and died...."